Plywood is wood veneers bonded together to produce a flat sheet. An extremely versatile product, plywood is used for a wide range of structural, interior and exterior applications - from formwork through to internal paneling. MTIB Timber Services stock large quantities of both exterior grade plywood ("hardwood plywood") and builder's grade plywood. Plywood offers the following benefits:
- Increased stability - Plywood offers all the inherent advantages of the parent wood plus enhanced properties in its laminated structure.
- High impact resistance - Plywood's laminated structure distributes loads from impact over a larger area on the opposite face, which effectively reduces the tensile stress.
- Surface dimensional stability - Cross laminated construction ensures that sheets remain relatively stable under changes of temperature and moisture. This is especially important in flooring and formwork construction where moisture exposure is very likely.
- High strength to weight ratio - With high strength and stiffness to weight ratios, plywood is very cost effective to use in structural applications such as flooring, shearwalls, formwork and webbed beams.
- Panel shear - The panel shear of plywood is nearly double that of solid timber due its cross laminated structure. This makes plywood a highly effective material to use in gussets for portal frames, webs of fabricated beams and as bracing panels.
- Chemical resistance - Plywood does not corrode and can be used in chemical works and cooling towers as a cost-effective, durable material when preservative treated.